This recipe is from “The Low Carb High Fat Diet” (2014) by Veronica and Laura Childs.
This is also the first in the recipe series that supports “7 Day Keto Meal Plan for People Who Don’t Like to Cook” – we’re going to get you in and out of the kitchen in less than an hour per day!
Once a week we make 6-12 of these and leave them in the refrigerator for rushed or lazy mornings. Heat one up – breakfast is served. They travel well for work lunches too!
The most basic version of this recipe follows. Add in your favorite vegetables, swap out meats and cheese, anything goes as long as you adjust your carb counts and are aware of your macros throughout the day. Leftover cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, spinach and small amounts of red pepper work well when beaten into the egg.
Yield: 6 muffins
Serving Size: 1 of 6 muffins
Net Carbs per serving: 1.3 grams
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
6 slices bacon*, cooked
1 tbsp butter
3 ounces Swiss cheese, cut into six equal portions
1 pinch onion powder
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly oil a non-stick muffin pan.
- Place one slice of meat in the bottom of each muffin cup.
- Gently beat eggs with onion powder (plus any extra vegetables or spices).
- Pour egg mixture over meat, evenly between the six muffin cups.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the egg has set.
- Top each muffin with a half slice of cheese. Return to the oven to soften the cheese (1-2 minutes).
- Serve immediately or allow to cool before storage.
Nutrition calculated for 1/3 pound bacon. Bacon thickness varies by brand and butcher. An average 1/3 pound of bacon is roughly equivalent to 6 slices, medium thick.