This recipe is from “Slow & Low: Low Carb Soups, Stews and Meals for Your Slow Cooker” (2015) by Veronica and Laura Childs.
This is the fourth in the recipe series supporting our “7 Day Keto Meal Plan for People Who Don’t Like to Cook“. Our mission is to help new dieters quiet the sugar monster, lose weight by getting into ketosis, and not spend a whole lot of time in the kitchen. While this 7 day intro isn’t perfect (we’re not asking our friend to track macros) we do know that for many people it is a great start into the keto way of eating.
Keto* Chillapitzalli Chicken
Serving Size: 10 ounces
Net Carbs per Serving: 3.7 grams
Skip the carb-heavy wraps and serve up deliciousness! The sauce of pureed pepper and spices are exquisite.
Serving Suggestion: This spicy dish begs for a quieter side vegetable such as steamed cauliflower (perfect to soak all up that lovely sauce), or roasted zucchini slices for an extra layer of flavor.
*For all intents and purposes, this dish is considered “low carb”. It is best consumed if your ketogenic fat macros have already been high throughout the day. However it is also highly versatile as it turns into Enchilada Chicken (higher in fats) when you melt cheddar on top. Really, really, good with melted cheddar! Both nutritional data sets are included below.
2 lbs chicken breast
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup sweet red pepper, diced
3/4 cup tomato, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp oregano
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- Coat slow cooker base and sides with butter.
- Cut chicken into 6 portions and add to crock pot.
- Except for green onions, puree remaining ingredients, then pour over chicken.
- Cook on high for 1 hour, then low for 3-4 hours. (If you’re in a rush, cut the chicken into smaller pieces and just cook through on high for 2-3 hours or until the chicken has cooked through.)
- Transfer chicken to serving plate and spoon the sauce over top.
- Garnish with chopped green onions (2 teaspoons per serving).
With 1/3 cup Grated Cheddar per Serving